Saturday, August 8, 2009

What Do You Call Someone Who Loses a Child?

There is no other loss like the loss of a child. When someone loses a spouse they are called a "widow" or "widower." When a child loses his/her parents he/she is called an "orphan." But there is no word in the English language to describe a parent who loses a child. Why is this? I think it is this way for two reasons: 1) The grief associated with losing a child is so horrendous that there isn't even a word that could do justice in describing the pain associated with the experience! 2) It is commonly assumed that parents will outlive their children.

So to answer the question, "What do you call someone who loses a child?" You call them "devastated!" Devastated but not without hope .... Thank God for His grace! When I am weak He is strong!

At a loss for words,


1 comment:

  1. Our children should not precede us in death.

    The difference between today’s grief and tomorrow’s,is that now there is a name. Vilomah: A parent whose child has died.