Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Recording my Heart for Jackie


At the time I was pastoring a fast growing church in Palmdale that my wife and I had started seven years earlier. I also had a radio show called, “Practical Living” that aired M-F on the local Christian radio station (KAVC). About a week before Jackie’s birth, a DJ from the radio station named Jim DeVore called me and asked if I would come down to the station and record my initial feelings about my daughter’s birth. I went down to the studio a couple days after her birth and just shared my heart. Jim set some background music to it but I never got to hear how it turned out. I didn’t do a recording like this for the other two kids. Jackie never got to hear the heartfelt words I recorded that day. I just recently listened to it and transcribed it here. Somehow I think she knows ….

Hi this is Dave Page. Jacqueline, I would be your father. I’m in the recording studio right now and its December 23rd, three days after you were born on December 20th. Your mother Carrie and I have been looking forward to this for the last couple of years. We were planning for another baby and we were so excited to see you come out of your mother’s stomach and to see such a beautiful baby. You have beautiful brunette hair that barely covers your whole head. You have five fingers on each hand, five toes on each foot, beautiful eyes, a beautiful mouth, and a beautiful nose. I know you are going to be a beautiful young lady and a beautiful woman someday.

I just want to tell you on this day, December 23, 1994, just how proud I am of you and how much I love you. If anything ever happened to me just know that you are the apple of your daddy’s eye. I love you more than I love myself. I just thank God for you. You are definitely a blessing from God. You are a gift from God. You were born during the Christmas season and we know that Jesus is the reason for the season. God gave his greatest gift in the person of Jesus Christ to pay for our sins so that we would have new life in him. I’ll never forget that you were born just five days before Christmas. This will most likely be the happiest Christmas your mom and I have ever had. The main reason for that is because you were born. I just hope you get to listen to this someday. I hope to give it to you someday so that you will understand how excited I am that God brought you into this world and how much you matter to God and to your daddy and mommy.

I’ll let you know that one day after you were born (December 21st) your big brother Joshua (5 years old) came to see you and hold you. He was very excited and that’s interesting because when Jessica was born just a few years ago Joshua refused to even have his picture taken with her. But he held you and was so proud of you. He was a proud big brother … so was Grandma and Grandpa Page … so was Grandma and Grandpa Finch and all the others who came to see you. I just want to let you know that Jessica loves you too; she’s your older sister. She also held you right beside her mom. We gave Jessica a baby doll when you were born and she named it Jackie. She even has a little stroller for it.

Jacqueline, I just wanted to let you know that your daddy loves you! You are so loved and I just pray that you would follow God all the days of your life and that you would walk with him and become a woman after his own heart. That your beauty would not only be on the outside (which it surely is) but that your beauty would inward as well – a woman who fears God, a woman who is to be praised because she fears God. I pray that you would be a great woman for God … that you would follow him and live your life for him. And I pray that you have a happy life not devoid from suffering, for we all suffer as you will find out. May you live in the fullness of God and through that may you come to know God’s abundant joy and experience the life that God has intended for you. I love you Jacqueline. I love you from the bottom of my heart and I’m so excited this day, just three days after your birth. Thank you Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment